A Canadian classic with a little (literally) makeover! Typically found on the Rideau Canal, you can make these treats just as easily in your kitchen. All you need is a frying pan, some oil, and a generous sprinkling of Redpath® Cinnamon Sugar. Fry them up and enjoy!
What you need
- ⅔ cup (160 ml) milk, warmed to 110℉ (45℃)
- 1 tbsp (16 g) Redpath® Granulated Sugar
- 2 tsp (8 g) active dry yeast
- 2 ⅔ cup (333 g) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (54 g) Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar, firmly packed
- ½ tsp (3 g) salt
- 2 tbsp (28 g) butter, melted and cooled
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp (10 ml) pure vanilla extract
- Redpath® Cinnamon Sugar, generously sprinkled
- lemon juice, to finish
Prep Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 10 to 12 servings
- If you don’t have a Redpath® Cinnamon Sugar shaker, mix 1 cup (200 grams) Redpath® Granulated Sugar with 2 teaspoons (6 grams) ground cinnamon in a medium-sized bowl. Once these treats come out of the oil, blot with paper towels and immediately transfer to the bowl of cinnamon sugar. Toss and coat still-hot treats with mixture.
- Different toppings may be used: melted chocolate, caramel sauce, toasted nuts, or jams.
How to prepare
- Combine warmed milk and Redpath® Granulated Sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer. Sprinkle the active dry yeast over the surface of the milk. Allow to stand 5 to 10 minutes, until mixture is foamy.
- Whisk together the all-purpose flour with the Redpath® Golden Yellow Sugar and salt until well-combined. Add to the yeast mixture. Add the butter, egg and vanilla extract. With the dough hook attachment, knead dough on low speed until the ingredients are slightly combined.
- Increase speed to medium and knead until a smooth and elastic dough forms; about 5 minutes.
- Form the dough into a ball and place into a large bowl that has been lightly greased. Flip dough over to cover the top of the dough with oil and flip again. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in a warm, draft-free location until dough has doubled in size; about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn dough onto a lightly-floured work surface and flatten slightly. Divide dough into approximately 10-12 equal sized pieces. Using a rolling pin and/or the help of your hands, roll or pat dough into ovals about ¼ inch (6 millimetres) thick.
- Keep rolled out dough covered with a piece of plastic wrap, or a tea towel, until all pieces have been rolled.
- Heat a large frying pan with an inch (2.5 centimetre) of vegetable oil, until a thermometer reads 350℉ (175℃). Carefully slide 2 or 3 pieces of rolled out dough into the oil. Fry until golden in colour; 1 to 2 minutes (per side).
- Using a pair of tongs, place fried dough onto a tray lined with paper towel. Immediately sprinkle generously with the Redpath® Cinnamon Sugar. Just before serving, sprinkle the finished treats with freshly squeezed lemon juice.